How to become a Member
Requirement and Process
Members must be connected to the construction industry, and usually have relevant qualifications. They are Chartered surveyors, engineers, architects, builders and construction specialists, as well as professionals in law, accountancy and other fields supporting the trade. Some of these related industries have a livery company of their own, and members value the professional and social diversity found within our ranks.
There are various grades of membership. Most new members join as Freemen, which means making certain commitments to the Company. Freemen are entitled to apply to the City Chamberlain to become a Freeman of the City of London. Following that, and after a period of satisfactory service with the Company, a Freeman can apply to become a full Liveryman, which entitles him or her to vote in city elections and attend certain events, such as the United Guilds Service at St Paul’s Cathedral.
Other grades of membership include:
- Yeoman: most have been scholars or prize winners
- Apprentice: bound to a Liveryman or member of the Court for a prescribed period of indenture, and enrolled at Guildhall
- Companion: the widow or widower of a member of the Court or a Liveryman
All members must fall within the following restrictions:
- Yeoman: under 35 years
- Apprentice or Freeman: over 18 years (it’s not necessary to be a Yeoman first, but depends on personal choice)
- Liveryman- after acceptance as a Freeman. This requires either a recognised professional qualification or relevant experience and seniority in the industry
- International Constructor: a member based abroad, who can be either Freeman and Liveryman
The next step is to meet the Election Committee to make the appropriate commitments. The committee consists of the Master and Wardens, and meets regularly in the City of London between 10am and 12.30pm.
Finally, you’ll then need to appear before the Court, who meet five times per year. You can withdraw from the process at any time – there’s nothing to pay until the process is complete.
The cost for membership is (2018/19):
- Annual subscription (known as Quarterage) = £405 + VAT (due by 1st October each year) for Freemen and Liverymen
- Annual subscription (known as Quarterage) = £60 + VAT (due by 1st October each year) for Yeomen
- One-off admin fee = £200 + VAT (excludes Yeoman membership, which incurs no fee)
- On moving up to the Livery there is a one-off payment known as a Fine – £400.00 + VAT
To save time and help the Company maintain regular income, we ask you to pay your Quarterage by direct debit. A £15 surcharge is payable if you decide not to.
If you’re interested in joining as a Freeman or Yeoman, please complete and print the forms that are available on this page and return them to the Clerk at the address below:
Mr Kim Tyrrell
The Worshipful Company of Constructors
5 Delft Close