- This event has passed.
12 July, 2019 - 14 July, 2019
Master’s Weekend in Cambridge
The Master and Mistress are pleased to announce that they have been able to organise a “Back to School” weekend in Cambridge to which all members and their Spouses/Partners are invited.
The key arrangements have now been finalised and they are:
- There will be a drinks and canapés reception at the Master’s college – Wolfson College from 13:00 to 15:30 on Friday, 12th July, which will be attended by the President of Wolfson College, Professor Jane Clarke.
- The Friday evening dinner will be held in Downing College at 19:15 following a drinks reception at 18:30.
- There will be a blue badge guided walking tour of Cambridge and chauffeured punting with Scudamores starting at 09:30 which should be finished by 12:30/13:00 to allow for people to take refreshment in one of the local hostelries/restaurants as a prelude to a free afternoon which will allow members to explore Cambridge on foot, or perhaps even by bicycle!
- The Saturday Evening Black-Tie Dinner will take place at 19:15 in the Old Hall of Queen’s College, following a champagne reception which starts at 18:30 in the Old Kitchen, which is adjacent to medieval hall at Queens College. The Master has arranged for musical entertainment to be provided by singers from the Kings College Choir.
- On Sunday morning, those who wish may attend morning service in Kings College Chapel.
- If you wish to stay on for lunch on the Sunday the Clerk will need to know, so that adequate arrangements may be made with the Double Two Hilton Hotel, which is just a short stroll from Downing College.
Accommodation arrangements have been made for Gold Star rated en-suite rooms at Downing College. The rates for these rooms are very competitive and the Master has booked 30 Double Rooms at £132.60 + VAT per night including breakfast and 10 Single Rooms at £99.00 + VAT per night. The Master has also reserved 13 parking spaces, so if you plan to drive to Cambridge then please book you parking space with the Clerk – it’s first come – first served, and as they say, “when they’re gone, they’re gone!”
The Master has arranged for bookings to be made direct to Downing College. They use a company called Speedybooker.com as their agent. To make a booking go to https://www.downing-conferences-cambridge.co.uk/accommodation using your preferred web browser and:
- Enter the promotional code MASTERSWEEKEND
- Click on the calendar on the right and scroll right to July 2019
- Click on both the arrival (12th) and departure (14th) to highlight the days and then click “Next”
- Enter the number of people staying aged 21 or over and click “Check Availability”
- The room availability will then show at the bottom of the screen
- Select the number of rooms required from the drop down menu and then click on “Next”
- Click blue box in middle of screen “Checkout as guest”
- The system will then guide you through the process of paying for your room
- If you are single, enter your name on first line, and then click on the second box on left headed “Empty”
- You will receive an e-mailed receipt from SpeedyBooker.com.
Please note that there are cancellation charges.
- If you cancel your booking with more than 14 days notice you will receive a full refund (with the exception of a £10 administration fee).
- If you cancel between 14 days and 7 days of arrival there will be a cancellation charge of 25% of the total booking value plus the £10 administration fee.
- If you cancel between 7 days and 1 day of arrival there will be a cancellation charge of 50% of the total booking value plus the £10 administration fee.
- If you do not turn up on the day Downing College will take 100% of the total booking value as the booking arrangement through SpeedyBooking.com ceases to be available at 23.59 on 11th July 2019.
The administration Fee is charged by SpeedyBooking.com – not by Downing College.
Further details of the arrangements for the weekend will be promulgated to attendees in due course, but if you would like to attend then please do make a reservation on the booking site and let the Master and Clerk know by email that you have done so. Please also inform the Master and the Clerk if you are travelling to Cambridge by car and require a parking space – these are limited in number and will be made available on a first come – first served basis. Bookings for car-parking have been coming in fast and there are now only a few places left, so early booking is now essential. Please also advise the Master and Clerk if you are NOT staying in Downing College. Please also note that the Master’s block booking for accommodation will now be released on 21 May 2019, so if you are attending and require accommodation in Downing College be sure to have made your booking as above by 21 May 2019 (this is now 10 days earlier than previously stated).
If you have not booked by 21 May you will have to make your own arrangements for accommodation, and if any members wish only to attend the Black Tie Dinner they too should let the Master know no later than 31 May 2019.
The anticipated cost for the activities outlined above is £220 per person (excluding lunch on both Saturday and Sunday and any other costs incurred solely by member’s choice).
The flyer for the Master’s Weekend has been promulgated and can be downloaded here.
- 12 July, 2019
- 14 July, 2019
- Event Category:
- Informal Events
- The Master 2018
- Downing College
Cambridge, CB2 1DQ United Kingdom + Google Map