Goldsmith's Hall Garden

Goldsmiths` Garden Fountain 1994

Goldsmiths` Garden Fountain 1994

In 1994, the Gardeners’ Company, with the help of other livery companies, supported the Goldsmiths in refurbishing the garden.

The fountain was donated by the Constructors’ Company and the iron entrance arch, by the Blacksmiths’ Company.

This garden houses the famous symbol relating to the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths. The leopard’s head hallmark literally means “marked at Goldsmiths’ Hall” and has been used to verify the purity of silver since the early 14th century.

Did you see?  Goldsmiths`Hall Garden in the film "The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo"?

See here Daniel Craig as Mikal Blomkuist and (no we cannot say so as not to spoil the plot) meeting in The Goldsmiths`Hall Garden in a London sequence.


More Detail:-

The Goldsmiths' Garden is on the site of the church and churchyard of St John Zachary, a medieval church recorded from at least the C12th when a pre-existing church was given by the Canons of St Paul's to the monk Zachary. It was damaged in the Great Fire and part of the steeple demolished, and it probably ceased to be used at that time, the parish amalgamating with that of St Ann and St Agnes, although part of the ruins remained until the C19th. The Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths had acquired land here in 1339, building what is the earliest recorded Livery Hall; the current Goldsmiths' Hall across Gresham Street to the south was built in 1829/35 on the site of a previous hall.

After part of the Company's property was demolished in World War II, the site was laid out as a garden in 1941 by firewatchers, which won the Best Garden on a Blitzed Site in 1950 under a post-war initiative by the Gardeners' Company. In c.1962 the garden was redesigned by Peter Shepheard and a photograph of the 1960s shows layout in two areas, the west section which was the site of the former churchyard raised above street level, simply laid out and with a number of gravestones from St John Zachary and two large planes. Steps lead down to the east section of the garden, which had been the site of the church has been excavated and lies below street level and consists of a rectangular lawn with one catalpa tree, with a hard surround and public seating set against the retaining wall. Improvement works in 1995/6 by Anne Jennings included a new layout by Gardeners' Company, a water fountain donated by the Constructors' Company with new planting and relaying of flagstones by Goldsmiths' Company and lighting by the Lightmongers' Company. The work was part-funded from the Corporation of London's City Changes scheme. The arch at the entrance to the west section on Gresham Street, with Leopard's Head as its central feature, was made by apprentices at the Rural Development Commission in Salisbury, whose work was managed by the Blacksmiths' Company.

In 2009, a sculpture entitled 'Three Printers' c.1957 by Wilfred Dudeney was re-located in the sunken garden. Commissioned for New Street Square by the Westminster Press Group, the sculpture represents the newspaper process, with a newsboy, a printer and an editor. When New Street Square was being redeveloped in an office scheme by Bennett Architects for Land Securities, the Goldsmiths' Company, as the freeholders of the square, moved the sculpture to their garden at Gresham Street.

2015 Photos of the Beautiful Garden Fountain Presented by The Company