Sir Ian Dixon Scholarship
Sir Ian Dixon was CIOB’s President from 1989 to 1990 and head of Willmott Dixon. He was an enthusiastic supporter of innovation and education within the industry. The scholarship was established in 1997. It is funded and supported by Sir Ian Dixon Legacy, The Chartered Institute of Building and The Worshipful Company of Constructors.
The Sir Ian Dixon scholarship (SIDS) is designed to provide an opportunity for companies to develop the potential of their staff through a research programme.
The successful scholar will continue to work full time during the scholarship year, carrying out a research project which will benefit the scholar, their company and the industry. The subject of the research could relate to any area of construction management including forms of contract, processes on site, emerging trends or management practices. It could be a new topic or extend existing work to increase its value to a wider audience in industry.
Once selected, the candidate will then discuss progress with their company and WCC mentors every few months, producing an end of project summary to be made available on the Worshipful Company website at the end of the 12-month scholarship period. The scholar will also give a presentation at a suitable event hosted by their company and on successful completion of this project the scholar will receive an award of £3,000.
The Application Process:
- The candidate must send their CV and a brief summary (100 words max) of their chosen research topic + confirming if the project is new or will build on existing work.
- A member of the selection committee will then arrange a time for discuss the proposed project in more detail over the phone to gather further information.
- All applications will be reviewed by the Selection Committee and the winner will be agreed by the 21st January 2020. The successful candidate will be informed by email by 29th January 2020.
- Applications should be made via email to: email@example.com
- The closing date for applications is Friday, 13 December 2019
- Winner selected by 21 January 2020
- Selected Winner informed by 29 January 2020
- Awards Dinner 12 February 2020
Recent Sir Ian Dixon Scholarship Papers:
Recent SIDS submissions can be downloaded here:
- 2015/6 Liz Waters – “Construction as a career choice for Young People” – Headline Presentation – Submission
- 2015/6 Andrew Thompson – “Increasing Primary School Places in London and the South – Submission
- 2017/8 Alexander Stephens – “Additive Manufacture: Structural Freedom and Architectural Complaxity” – Submission
- 2018/9 Anna Koukoulis – “The UK’s Forgotten Youth” – Submission
- 2019/20 No Scholarship was awarded in 2019