Most new members join as Freemen and are then, subject to meeting the requirements of the City of London, entitled to become a Freeman of the City of London. Then, when they feel they’re ready, and subject to eligibility and approval of the Court, they move forward to being clothed as a Liveryman. This entitles them to vote in some city elections and attend certain events.
The Company is governed by a Court of around 40 people. Some are elected officers, such as the Master and Wardens. Others either aspire to those positions, or, like Past Masters, have held office and remain to give the benefit of their experience. Court is also attended by the Honorary Court Assistants who, like the Past Masters, are there to share their knowledge.
The day-to-day administration of the Company falls to the Clerk, who arranges the formal functions on behalf of the Master and deals with financial matters in conjunction with the Honorary Treasurer. General management of the Company is carried out by ten formal committees, who each meet some three times a year.
- The General Purposes Committee deals with all financial, management and policy matters.
- The Election Committee reviews all potential members of the Company, assessing their suitability and managing the interview process.
- The Nominations Committee makes recommendations on entry to the Court, and advancement within it.
- The Charity Advisory Committee makes recommendations to the Trustees of the Charitable Trust for the disbursement of charitable funds.
- The Scholarships and Awards Committee oversees scholarships and prizes, and is responsible for our relationship with Livery Schools Link.
- The Merchandise and Events Committee looks after our merchandise and the programme of events.
- The Fundraising Committee explores partnerships with construction industry organisations that will enable the Company to further its charitable and educational work.
- The Membership Committee manages all new member applications and advancement within the Company.
- The Media Committee manages all aspects of our communications, both within and beyond the Company.
- The Finance Committee manages the finances of the Company.
- The Diversity & Inclusion committee ensures the Company creates an inclusive environment for members from all backgrounds and promotes a diverse and representative membership.